Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May Grey or my PSA on skin cancer

F.W. is the 2nd rower from the front of the boat.
I love this weather however it is chilly when you're in the water. I'm glad the sun hasn't gotten to powerful yet. I burn easy especially on my chest. I wish I would have worn sunscreen more often when I was young. In my teens one of my sisters would fake and bake in a tanning bed and I would joke/tease her that she was going to be Grandma No Nose when she got older. Did you know May is National Skin Cancer Awareness month? Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the US. A person's risk of melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer, doubles if you have had 5 or more sunburns at some point in your life. I went to my Dermatologist today for my biannual full body search. I've had precancerous cells taken off of my nose in the past. This time my Doctor gave me a topical cream to use on my nose AND chest. I have this terrible fear I am going to be Grandma No Nose. My Doctor found 2 abnormal moles on my back. She measured and took a picture to keep an eye on it. I will go back in July to remove one of the moles. The whole visit really bummed me out. What bugs me about skin cancer is the best thing you can do is stay out of the sun but how is that possible in sunny Southern California??Blah 

Anyways wear sunscreen people!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment